Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Knitted Hood Pattern

This is one I made for my son, Phillip, for Christmas this past year.  And yes, I am just now getting around to getting the pattern out of my journal and up on my blog.



 He really likes this and has requested a second hood, so I will be making another soon (well maybe by next winter).

Size 7 circular needles (for most people this will end up being a size 9 as I knit loose)
Stitch markers
Tape measure
2 skeins of Madelinetosh  Tosh Vintage the color I used is Oscuro (300 yards is what I used in total in case you go with a different yarn)

Gauge: 9 st = 2 inches, 12 rows = 2 inches (although the row gauge really isn't important)

Abbreviations:
K = Knit
P = Purl
K2tog = Knit two together
SSK = Slip Slip Knit
st = stitches

Cast on 100 stitches, place marker and begin knitting in the round.
Row 1: K1, P1 around
Row 2: K
Repeat rows 1 and 2 for 1 3/4 inches ending with row 2

Knit every round now for a total of 4 inches from beginning of work.

Now we stop knitting in the round and work back and forth.

Row 1: P
Row 2: K2tog, knit to the last 2 st, SSK the last 2 st (total decrease 2 st)
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until you have 86 st on your needle, ending with row 2.
Row 3: P
Row 4: K
Repeat rows 3 and 4 until you have a total of 16 inches, including the beginning ribbing.
Cut yarn leaving about a 3 foot tail.  Divide stitches 43 stitches on each end of the circular needle.  Kitchener stitch the top closed using the two ends of your circular needle (43 st each end).  I hope that makes sense.

Now you will see the basic form, the ribbing you started with is the neck.  The face opening is a basic shape that rolls in right now.

Pick up 96 st evenly spaced around the face opening.  Start under the chin at the bottom of the opening. Place marker and begin knitting in the round.
Row 1: K1, P1 repeat around
Row 2: K
Repeat rows 1 and 2 for 1 3/4 inches.  End with row 2. Bind off loosely, work in ends.

No comments: