Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Getting Back to Meditation

I am getting back to my meditation practice. Over the years I have gone months on and off with meditation. It seems like when I am feeling busy in my life, meditation is the first thing I cut out.  Which, ironically is the last thing I should cut out.  It is a peaceful time of emptying my mind and just being in the moment in my space. The same thing used to happen with any form of exercise, which is meditative for me as well.  But as soon as I feel busy, exercise used to be the first thing I would eliminate.  I made the promise to myself about exercise and have kept that promise for over three years now.  So I am ready to make the same promise to myself about meditation.  I mean when I think of all the excuses, there really is NO excuse I can think of to not take even five minutes for myself in meditation.  So that is my promise, five minutes, at least.

I have been back meditating now for three days, and even five minutes is hard.  And I remember this feeling before, that "newbie" feeling, when all of a sudden, when you are still, every thought you have ever had seems to find its way to the surface and demand your attention.  I bring myself back to my breath and let the thought float away like a leaf on a stream.  Not sure where I picked up that visualization but it helps, to visualize your thought as a leaf that floats down from a tree to the surface of a stream and is carried away.  It helps to clear my mind, making it easier to come back to my breath.  But man, right now there are just a lot of leaves in there. I know it will get better, and it will be easier to find that empty space.

I have always enjoyed meditation.  ESPECIALLY when life is busy, to clear it all away and just breath, even for a few minutes.

If you have never meditated before it is pretty simple.  Here is a great link with easy steps to start.   https://zenhabits.net/meditation-guide/

I hope you enjoy your meditation practice and find it useful!

No comments: