Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Women's March on Morganton

I was so happy with how the Women's March on Morganton turned out this past Saturday.  It was so much larger than I ever expected and so many people from different walks of life.  I loved it.  I volunteer for Moms Rising, and I paired up with the Democratic Party in Burke County to pull this march together.  I think we made a great team.  It was a non partisan event, and people were so enthusiastic.  We had an estimated 600 marchers.  For this introvert it was amazing and a little overwhelming at times, but I made it though (I knew I would) These are my favorite three photos of the day, and I am sure you can guess why.




My boys started out marching for me, but by the end they were marching for so much more.  And they are so enthusiastic now to really be more of a part of the process.  I keep my sign here by my desk to remind me daily that there is work to do.

There is momentum to continue, so we are following the guidelines from the Women's March on Washington and we have postcard writing events planned already.  Of course, I have already written, called and e mailed my representatives to let them know how I think and feel, but for others this might be their first time.  And for still others I know the march was probably the extent of their political involvement, which is totally fine with me.  It takes all of us to make a movement.  

I do see friends on social media, backing away.  There is that "I need to take a break" post, that arrives to announce ON social media, that the person is not going to be ON social media.  While that seems like an oxymoron of sorts to me, I do understand that desire to retreat from the difficult discussions, the uncomfortable posts.  The posts from people you thought you knew, expressing ideas you never thought they would have.  So I get that need to retreat to your own place of peace, to get "offline" for a while, turn off the computer and the TV and dive into your family and the peace you have in your immediate world.  But while people are doing this, I hope they also remember that for so many this is their life, this is their immediate world, this is where they live, there is no peace.  They can't just retreat from social media and find that place of peace, as their world IS the chaos and turmoil that we see online.  Some people LIVE in these uncomfortable posts that we only view online.  The difficult discussions are their reality, their lives.  So while you retreat to your place of peace, be thinking about those people and at the very least maybe appreciate that you have a space to find solace.



No comments: