Monday, November 28, 2016

Holiday Cheering Up

I have not blogged lately, I just haven't had the heart after this past election.  I was so saddened by the open demonstrations of hatred and bigotry here in this country, especially here in the South.  I fear for my friends, their rights and their safety.  It really hurts my heart and disrupts the peaceful environment I work to create for myself and my family.

So the week after the election, Phillip and I decided we needed a little early holiday cheer.  Here at our house we always have a live tree, and start decorating the day after Thanksgiving.  This year we decided to start a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, so we opted for a second tree, and yes a fake one.  So our first tree of the season came from Lowes, and Phillip helped me pick everything out.  I had originally picked out purple and teal decorations so I am not sure how we ended up with red and gold, but it is beautiful and just the pick-me-up I needed.  Here is the tree...


It is a little more manicured than our real tree, and even though it is beautiful it isn't totally my "style", but it does the trick.

After we decorated the tree it needed a tree skirt.  I wanted to crochet one, I knew I could find a pattern online somewhere and I did.  The pattern is SIMPLE, and I found the yarn at OSuzannah's Yarn on Union Street here in Morganton.  I picked the traditional colors to go with this traditional tree, but she has so many different colors I can see this in purple and teal, haha.  The pattern is called SmoothFox's Christmas Tree Skirt and it is a basic chevron pattern, I altered it a bit but the pattern is easy to follow.  A beginner pattern that can easily be completed in a weekend.  



This tree has just brought my light back, I can feel it.  That tree and time.  I am a processing person, whenever I run up against obstacles or problems, I need to work the problem. I spend time thinking things through, or if you ask my husband, talking things through.  That out-loud process really helps me think, even if I am talking to myself.  Then I need a plan.  Before I can get back into my peaceful space I need to have a plan forward. And I have one.  There are a couple of things I plan to do to help here, in my local community, work for and with my local community.  And I think that will help me move forward.  I am back on track and have a few more blog posts planned for the near future.  So do whatever it takes to bring peace and light to your life, it is worth it, take care of yourself before you can take care of others. Sometimes I think we forget that.  

No comments: