Thursday, August 11, 2016

Moving Outside That Box

Yes, my comfort zone.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I really want to stretch my introvert boundaries. I want to be more comfortable in new places, new situations, around new people.  So I have plans to work toward that goal and jump outside my box.

Today I will be going to the Burke County Board of Elections meeting.  It isn't a "huge" deal for most people but for me it is enormous.  These are people I don't know and a meeting I have never been to. Discussing issues that could be tense. I am going alone, so no one there to lean on....but myself.  So this is kind of a small test for me.  Just reaching outside my comfort zone a little.

I could just continue with my normal morning routine and head on over to curves and work out.  But no, I am making myself do this for ME.  I do want to be comfortable talking to people I have never met, and be able to make small talk and just feel OK.  So I am reaching here, and I will continue to do so. I am seeking out opportunities to step outside the box and maybe one day there will be no box for me.  Maybe one day I will feel just as comfortable in new situations as I do with my old habits.  So keep me in mind as you go about your day.

Maybe step outside your box a little.


4 comments:

Joni Zander said...

I've been doing that lately with networking meetings. I'm amazed at how quickly I've gotten more comfortable. May you have a similar experience.

Pam Genant said...

Thank you Joni. I am glad it does get more comfortable. ~Pam

Gail Higgins said...

I so enjoy your blog, Pam, and can relate to this post. I'm trying to be brave and do more new things. I'm finding that it does get easier to a point.
:) Gail

Pam Genant said...

Thanks for reading Gail. I am really hoping that it does get easier for me. At least I am willing to give it a good shot to find out.