Monday, August 1, 2016

Moving Forward From Homeschooling

So many of you know about our homeschooling journey, as I have met so many of you because of our homeschooling journey.  My boys are now out of the homeschooling, compulsory attendance, age range. This will be my last year to work on the Love to Learn Homeschool Conference, and it feels so wonderful.  I will be hosting all the fun sessions, so I get to play with children of all ages, all day.  It is time to hand that torch over to those with younger children, those with more of a stake planted in the homeschool arena.

It has been a wonderful ride, but it isn't where my heart is at this point in time.  I have coordinated and helped on the Love to Learn Conference for 10 years, and I have spoken at a couple as well.  But now I am moving forward.  I have handed over all of the yahoo groups I started, or took over, to someone else.  I have left all the homeschool lists, pages and groups.

I do still want my boys to see an active and involved mom, involved in something greater than myself.  So I am testing out the water.  It is so different.  I mean I know the homeschool general statutes, backward and forwards.  I have an eye to look for key words in the legislative calendars and committees. I know how to advocate for homeschoolers and encourage homeschoolers to advocate for themselves. So changing directions has me a little bit nervous and excited at the same time.  I know who to talk to when standing up for the rights of homeschoolers.  I don't know all the politics of other organizations.

I am figuring out what interests me, and looking at it all, because I know that my interests are many, but I can be more effective if I don't spread myself thin.  In this journey I want to maintain my "me" time.  That time I dedicate to enriching my life, personal growth, exercise, meditation and the like.  I never want to give up my family time, that time is so meaningful and energizing for me. And I want to find something that hits me personally.  I feel I can move forward more easily if I can relate in some way.  Does that make sense at all.  I don't know if any of you have gone through this.  I am sure you have, made a big change in your life, how you move through this world.  Like I said it is exciting and a little overwhelming at the moment.  I am going to do more reading and follow the words of Lao Tzu:

“Do you have the patience to wait
Till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
Till the right action arises by itself?”

I have that patience, I know the right action will arise.

No comments: