Tuesday, July 26, 2016

What Did You Inherit From Your Parents?

A friend attended a community gathering and the speaker posed this question to the audience; what did you inherit from your parents? I thought this was a great question, so I have been thinking a lot about this lately.

There are the obvious answers like...I inherited my hazel eyes from my dad.  I inherited my weight issue from my mother (not an obvious answer and really it is long post for another time). But there are deeper answers as well.

I inherited my feelings of abundance and providing for my family, from my father, as well as my sense of knowing when I need to slow down.  My father would work two jobs if he had to, to provide for his family and make sure there was food on the table.  He also knew the value of a good nap.

I inherited my perseverance from my mother, she walked through some really tough times in her life and came out the other side.  She knew how to handle stress and difficulties and remain standing, placing one foot in front of the other.

One of my mother's favorite phrases was "think for yourself".  I heard that many...many...many times growing up. And I pass this along to my children as well.  Judge people based on your own personal interactions, don't let rumors and gossip rule your brain. Follow your gut. You know in your gut what is right, and make sure to stand up for what you believe to be right.  She really walked the talk.

They both also believed we are all equal here on this earth and we need to help each other through. Lend a hand when you can, and don't be afraid to ask for help.  Root for the underdog, someday it may be you that is the underdog in need of someone cheering you on.

And one last thought on what I inherited from my parents is to be there for family. I have always tried to really live this.  To be there when my family needs me, and when they don't.  To not let those ties slip loose.

So take a few minutes today to think about what you inherited from your parents.

No comments: