Monday, July 11, 2016

Mother to Mother

I sat here on my computer Thursday morning and read another article about a young African American man being shot by a police officer. I won't go into the details of the incident because I am sure you all know.  The details seem to repeat themselves over and over.  I just sat here and cried big blubbering tears.  My husband never knows what to say or do when I am crying like this, so he just sits here silently.

I just feel so heart broken for this young man's mother. As a mother, I cry for these mothers.  I know what it is like to worry about your son when he leaves the house without you.  But I don't know that depth of worry. As a Caucasian mother of Caucasian sons, I don't know what it is like to worry about them on that level.  I worry about their driving, the road conditions, other drivers.  I never give a thought about police officers as an obstacle. That thought just makes me cry sitting here now.  I can't imagine what it is like to be the mother of that child.  At this moment in history I am grateful to be a Caucasian mother of Caucasian sons.  I am ashamed that I live in a society where this is true. And maybe I should be ashamed that the thought crossed my mind, but it did Thursday morning.

I don't have any answers.  I do know that I have a vote.  This is not only an election for president, but also city and state representatives. And my plan is to vote for the candidates that I feel will take on this challenge and meet it head on, working toward bringing us together, finding real, workable solutions.  Making this country safe again, for EVERYONE.  I will not be voting for those that rally hatred and division.  Those that speak of bigotry on any level, for anyone. I want so much more for my sons and for every mothers' sons.

So I cry as one mother to another mother, my heart goes out to you.

No comments: