Thursday, June 2, 2016

Fifty and Fabulous

Today is my birthday, but I wrote this post yesterday, Wednesday, as right now the boys, Jackson, and I are hiking Mount Mitchell, which, according to their web site, is the highest point east of the Mississippi.  I turn 50 today, and I am really feeling the strongest I have felt since my Army days.  And one thing I have now that I didn't have back then, is this much confidence in myself and my abilities.  I am pushing that line further and further each and every day, challenging myself and the boundaries I *thought* were inevitable, but have found out were only the boundaries inside my own head.

My husband is not the best at gift giving, even when I actually point out exactly what I want.  I think it was last year, maybe the year before he bought me a couple of discs for disc golf, which he loves, me...not so much, although I went out with him once.  I am just not that great at throwing a Frisbee and it isn't my idea of fun.  So he has adopted my discs (hmmm maybe that was his plan from the beginning).  He also bought me bike shorts.  Yes the skin tight shorts with the padding in the butt.  And while it was thoughtful of him, as riding isn't the most comfortable of sports, I certainly do not need (or want) any extra padding back there.

This year I have decided to plan my own birthday, as really I don't want any gifts from Jackson, I have everything I want or need (OK so maybe I do want a new riding lawn mower).  I have planned this hike today, planned a picnic, which is waiting for us at the top.  I have asked Jackson to make dinner, his meatless meatball subs.  And my youngest, Phillip, wants to make me a cake, chocolate with chocolate frosting to be exact, yumm!  So today is going to be a wonderful day, filled with the things I love, my family. Doing something, that a few years ago, I never thought I would be able to do, never dreamt of doing really. So in a couple of days I will have pictures from my birthday to share with all of you.  And a story of how the day has gone for me.

Great things are in my future, and amazing things are happening in the here and now.  I am living the life of my dreams, with people I love, that love and inspire me daily.  I hope you are having a wonderful day as well!

No comments: