Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Amazing Birthday Hike: Mount Mitchell

If you read my last blog post, you know I had an amazing birthday planned for myself, and it lived up to my expectations and was just a beautiful birthday.  And yes, I do have lots of photos to share.  I do want to say that this hike was indeed a strenuous hike.  One sign gave details of the climb, including the expected time to complete, and the sign said that this 5.6 mile hike would take about 5 1/2 hours and it did, I think I finished in about 5 hour or 5 hours 15 minutes, somewhere around there.  Dallen and Phillip were an hour ahead of us so it took them about 4 hours to 4 hours 15 minutes to complete.  It was rocks and roots the whole way, you had to be careful where you stepped. There were only two points during the hike that you could see a partial view, and that was where the power lines made their way up the mountain, and the hiking trail crossed underneath the lines.  Then, and only then, could you see even a peek at the scenery around you.

Here is part of what they say on the web site about this hike.  " Starting at the Black Mountain Campground, on the Toe River, this hike gains 3600' in elevation over 5 1/2 miles to reach the summit of the East's highest peak, making it one of the toughest continuous climbs in the region..."  to read more visit the Mount Mitchell web site.

The web site does say that if you take Higgins Bald the trail will open into a meadow, well it doesn't, just so you know.  There is really no open area with any type of view.  But the view from the top is worth the climb.

Jackson and I taking a break along the trail.  Jackson is texting the boys to see how they are doing.


 View from the top


I loved how the clouds were rolling off the mountains at different points.











Help me Nancy, my hair is in one BIG knot!!

Phillip made this cake, and it was just as delicious as it looked!

Turning 50 was awesome!!

No comments: