Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Why Put Yourself Out There

I have been asked this a couple of times...."why put yourself out there?"  People are referring to my blog and the things I post on my blog.  Most are pretty boring really, just my life, things I do, or don't do and why. But for me it is important.

I can't really explain all the details of why this blog is important to me, as I don't fully understand why myself. You all know I am an introvert.  Really and truly, feel a little anxious in new situations with new people. Things like my upcoming eye exam make me nervous a bit.  It is a physician I don't know, place I don't know, new experience for me. Who will I have to talk to, what questions will they ask me etc.  All those things run through my mind.  So for me blogging is a way of reaching out there, a safe way of reaching out there.  Yes I do have people who will e mail me with negative comments.  And as any true introvert, I immediately analyze that, the post, the situation, where this person might be coming from. And yes, initially my feelings are hurt, I never want to distress anyone, and I may get angry because someone criticized my life, or my beliefs.  But I move past, after looking at how and what I post...yet again.

A friend of mine recently invited me to a "get to know you" type of event, it sounds interesting.  You get to meet someone you don't know, in a more personal way, talking, asking questions.  OK so I just felt nauseous thinking about it.  The prospect of doing something like that makes me slightly nervous, so I will graciously say "no thanks". I know other friends that embrace that type of situation....not me.  I turn to my blogging world.  I enjoy the friends I have, and I meet new people all the time.  I had a great conversation with an older gentleman in the waiting room when my son was having his eye appointment.  He has led such an interesting life, and had great stories to tell, that was an amazing experience, and even for me, it was enjoyable.  Maybe because it wasn't planned, and I didn't have time to think about it.

I feel much better when things are written down, sent out and off my mind.  It is like therapy for me.  It is like reaching out to other people, meeting people. But I don't have to leave my house, I don't have to actually take that step of saying "hello". So you will find me here, on my blog.  Feel free to send me an e mail, genant2@aol.com is my current e mail address.  Or leave me a comment.  I love hearing from you all.

No comments: