Wednesday, March 23, 2016

What To Do With My Mornings



I am not sure how many of you know this but I am a morning person.  Haven't always been a morning person but it started when Ellis popped into our lives.  Yes, that cute little puppy bundle of energy that he was and, for the most part, still is.  He was always up with Jackson in the morning and FULL of energy, so I got up as well and stayed up.  My night owl tendencies became early riser habits.  So for years now I have been getting up at 5:30 with Jackson.  During the winter months it is a little harder, being in the "dark" for so long before the sun shows its rays.  But generally I like getting up earlier.  I just haven't quite figured out what to do with that time.  I have tried exercising, cleaning, meditation and other things.  I want to be energized for my day, but morning is not my favorite time to exercise, and really, who wants to clean when they first open their eyes.

Sometimes I just have breakfast curled up in a blanket on the couch watching morning news. News isn't a bad thing, but generally, in the past, I haven't been a news watcher, I just don't like starting my day with downer news stories and that is about 90% of what is on the news these days.

I heard mention of a book called The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM) by Hal Elrod.  So I am reading that now.  I am really hoping it isn't an overly religious book (OK so the word miracle in the title makes me wonder, wouldn't you).  I am hoping it isn't just another "you can do this", "make your lists", "get things done", motivational speaker in print.  I am hoping that there are useful tools in there, to help jump start my mornings, something to fill that time in between opening my eyes and the sun actually rising. Something I haven't heard or read before. Or maybe I just need to put those things I HAVE heard and read before into practice.  

Anyway we shall see.  I will let you know what I think, and if I decide to put anything new into my mornings and how that works out.  Hopefully, fingers crossed, I will gain some insight and some type of morning routine will emerge.  


No comments: