Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Swirled Comfort Turtleneck Poncho

I have been having a lot of fun making a couple of ponchos lately.  And they turned out so great.  I am in love with this Mushishi yarn, wool and silk and so soft and warm.  LOVE IT!!  Here is the pattern I created to make the poncho in the picture.  I will say that I am not a photographer or a pattern maker.  So I really tried to be descriptive in the pattern but if there are any questions please leave a comment and I will do my best to clear things up.  I have no problem with anyone sharing my pattern and HERE is the LINK to a pdf download of this pattern.  All I ask is that you leave my information on the pattern, so anyone can find me if they need to.  And you do not sell my pattern.  Of course you are free to sell anything you make using my pattern.  

Thanks so much, enjoy!

Swirled Comfort Turtleneck Poncho
Pamela Genant
My etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/oceanmom


Materials:
Size 9 circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge.  I used a 40 inch needle and magic loop for the top portion.  But you could use a shorter length and switch out when your need a longer circular needle.
5 stitch markers, one that is different from the other 4.
1150 yards of worsted weight yarn.  I used 3 balls Mushishi, wool/silk in color #13 (491 yards/250 gms per ball), but I did have quite a bit left over.
Scrap yarn of the same weight as your main yarn

Gauge: 3.5 stitches per inch and 5 rows per inch


Abbreviations:
K=Knit
P=Purl
P2tog=Purl 2 together
Kfb=Knit front and back of that stitch
YO=Yarn over
PM=Place marker
M=Marker
SM=Slip marker
st=stitch

Instructions:

  1. Using your scrap yarn cast on 76 stitches, place marker (use s different marker so you can identify the end of the row) and join in the round.  Before you start knitting, place the remaining 4 markers.  18 stitches from beginning of row PM, 2 stitches PM, 36 stitches  PM, 2 stitches PM.  There should be 18 stitches remaining before the end of the row. 
  2. Knit 4 or 5 rows (in the round) with scrap yarn and then switch to your main color yarn.  Poncho is knit entirely in the round.

Poncho Body







Row 1: K
Row 2: K
Row 3: K
Row 4: *K to 1 st before M, Kfb, SM, Kfb* repeat from * to * 3 times.  K to end of row. ( increasing 8 stitches total)
Row 5: K
Row 6: K
Row 7: K
Row 8: *K to 1 st before M, Kfb, SM, Kfb* repeat from * to * 3 times.  K to end of row. (increasing 8 stitches total)
Row 9: *YO, P2tog*  repeat to end of row
Row 10: K
Row 11: K
Row 12: *K to 1 st before M, Kfb, SM, Kfb* repeat from * to * 3 times.  K to end of row. (increasing 8 stitches total)
Rows 13-124: repeat Rows 5-12, 14 times
Row 125-128: repeat Rows 5-8

Poncho Boarder










Row 1: *K1P1 repeat from * around
Row 2: K
Row 3-22: Repeat Rows 1-2, 10 times

Picot Bind Off
Cast on 2 stitches
Bind off 5 stitches
*Move stitch on right needle back to the left needle
Cast on 2 stitches
Bind off 5 stitches
Repeat from * around
Cut yarn and weave in end.

Neck










Pick up 76 stitches from provisional cast on with main yarn, discard scrap yarn
Place stitch marker for end of row and join in the round

Row 1: *K1P1 repeat from * around
Repeat Row 1 until neck measure 7 inches or is the length you want.

Picot Bind Off
Cast on 2 stitches
Bind off 5 stitches
*Move stitch on right needle back to the left needle
Cast on 2 stitches
Bind off 5 stitches
Repeat from * around
Cut yarn and weave in end.

Weave in any loose ends remaining.


No comments: