Friday, January 8, 2016

Photo Friday-Bird Watching

I was commenting a couple of weeks ago about how I needed to keep my binoculars in the living room so I could see the birds at my feeders without disturbing them.  Going out the door spooks the poor things and it takes so long for them to come back so I can watch them again.  Jackson had this scope in the basement. He used it hunting, which was long before he met me.  It has been down there in storage since we moved here.  He dug that out and attached it to the tripod and now I have the perfect bird watching spot.  Every time I pass by, I peek out to see what is happening.  I have a few goldfinches that swing by, cardinals (of course), mourning doves, chickadees, and a red headed woodpecker.  The woodpecker is so fun to watch. He is one of the only birds that enjoys the more expensive bird feeders with the round disc underneath that catche falling seeds.  He hangs onto the plate and pecks at the seed in the feeder above.  Looks just like he is attached to a tree.  Most of the birds seem to prefer the cheap $5 feeders I picked up at Tractor Supply.


I started out with one pole and two feeders.  My youngest son made me another pole for Christmas and so now I have 4 feeders out there.  LOVE IT!!  I will have to take a photo of the pole my son made some day. The poles work beautifully as the squirrels can't seem to climb them and I have them located away from trees so there is no jumping.  Now I keep my scope at the window all the time and enjoy watching the birds without them spotting me.  Maybe this year I will participate in The Great Backyard Bird Count.


This is a cooperative blogging post.  To see Nancy's Friday Photo, visit A Present Moment.

No comments: