Friday, December 25, 2015

A Season of Changes

So quite a few firsts this December, and a few reflections as well.  All in all wonderful.

Starting with the Solstice, it was different for me this year.  The boys were not as interested in the traditions we have shared in the past, which felt a little empty for me.  But I recognize they are getting older, and developing their own way of moving through this world.  So no solstice bread this year, and the day was rainy and cloudy so even though I was up in plenty of time to see the sun rise, it never really "rose".  The day just got lighter and lighter gradually as the sun rose behind all those clouds. I think next year I will plan solitary traditions.  I have changed out my altar for the winter season, a time of hibernation for me.  Yet, I don't feel like hibernating, going inward, it has been so unseasonably WARM so far.  So it feels more like a season of creativity and I am going to go with that.

Today, on christmas.  Jackson and I were up hours before the boys.  We are so accustomed to getting up early that today was just like another day and we were up around 6:00.  The boys slept in until 10:00.  So it felt a little odd being the ones up early and sitting, waiting for them to climb out of bed.

The day was wonderful, watching them open their presents and also opening my presents.  It was WARM again today, so I did get to put up the bird feeder my son made for me, with the help of Jackson and Phillip. I love it and I am sure the birds will too.  Another oddity, yesterday and today I just enjoyed being outside. It was cloudy and rained off and on, but no mosquitoes and just nice and warm.  Although tonight we finally had to give in to the heat and turn on the AC.  It is 77 degrees in the house right now and I just can't stand it any more.  Not sure if that is due to the heat in general or hot flashes.  Either way the AC is on until the boys complain.

We enjoyed our traditional christmas homemade pizza, and watching A Christmas Story.  I have enjoyed this holiday season with family and friends.  Some traditions we have held onto and some that have changed.  It is all good, it is all part of life and living.  And even though I thought about my parents, over this past week, quite a bit, I am certainly living and loving it.

Just a couple of cuties from our house this holiday!


No comments: