Monday, November 23, 2015

Why you do, or do not, watch the news

Wow what a multidimensional cooperative blogging prompt.  I had to think about this one for a while.  I watch the news a little bit.  I like to be informed, make informed decisions.  I like to have as much information as I can to form opinions.  BUT I feel everything so much that if I watch much news I start to feel really sad/down.  I can turn into a funk for me that lasts over time.  So I do limit how much and what I watch.  I like that I can see headlines on the Internet and choose what I want to read, and from what source.  I can mix the good news with the heavier news going on around the world, and locally.

When I watch news on TV, I watch local news from Charlotte.  I like to see what is going on locally, with a touch of world news thrown in.  And I like how they present the news.  My husband can tell you that I don't like the world news stage.  It just seems like it is more for ratings or something, more of a show.  He enjoys watching news.  We watched one of those cable morning news shows a couple of times, and I just don't see how the latest youtube video about some puppy in a toy car is newsworthy.  Or that McDonald's is now serving breakfast menu items all day....really.....I know there are things going on around the globe that are more newsworthy than that.  Can see say ADVERTISING!  And really, you pick McDonald's to highlight. Sheesh.

So I like to read the news more, and I like to watch local news.  But generally only a few times a week, in the morning, at best.  That may sound like I am uninformed, and on some things maybe I am not as informed as I could be.  But it works for me.  It keeps me sane.  It keeps me grounded in my own space.  It keeps me where I want to be.

If you want to read what my friend Nancy thinks about the news, you can read all about it on her blog, A Present Moment.  

No comments: