Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Funerals

Funerals are just so hard.  Luckily they are few and far between for me.  I always leave mentally exhausted. And yes, you know that person hysterically crying, that would be me.  I can't go to any funeral and not be reminded of how hard it is to lose someone close to you.  Just being there brings it all flooding back.

This time I didn't know the deceased, but his daughter is a friend of mine.  She is a strong woman, and I know she will get through this.  But it will be hard.  I just feel for her.  I know what it is like to have those waves of emotion that just take over, sometimes so unexpectedly.  I can be driving to town, or in the middle of watching a movie and just burst into tears remembering how much I miss my parents.  How I wish I could call my mom and ask for advice or just talk, ask my dad for help.  I know she is missing her dad right now. I want to tell her "time heals all wounds", but I am still waiting for that to happen.

For me it has been almost 19 years without my dad.  And I still break down at unexpected moments.  I do think it gets a little easier, in that I remember the great times we shared, I talk to my boys about the memories, good and bad.  But I saw her sitting there at the funeral and my heart just ached for her, knowing what lies ahead. My heart ached for my parents....just sitting there remembering.  It's hard learning to live in a world without that special someone.  I know some of you know exactly what I am talking about, and luckily some of you do not.  Please keep my friend in your thoughts.

No comments: