Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Welcoming...?

I posted a couple of days ago about the Unique Ability book.  I think this will be an enjoyable process, going through the book with friends.  I also think it will be helpful in looking deeper into myself.

The first assignment, I might have mentioned, is to list the unique abilities I see in others.  They do the same for me.  So I came away with seven slips of paper listing what the other seven participants (friends) think are my unique abilities.  The task is to review these and look for common themes, words or ideas.  Things that more than one person put on their list.

Most are already things I had identified within myself, for myself.  But one has me a bit stumped. "WELCOMING".  More than one person had this on their list but I have NEVER thought this about myself. Not that I am not welcoming but that I don't think I appear welcoming.  As an introvert, engaging in conversation with someone I don't know or don't know well, is extremely hard.  I am not good at chit chat and the larger the group, the more difficult it is.  I have been known, even in a group of mostly friends, if the group is too large for me, to go outside and just cry.  Just feeling overwhelmed by all the people, all the feelings in the room, all the conversations going on around me.

When there are people I don't know, I have no idea what to say so I kind of sit there.  Not that I don't want to feel comfortable, I just don't.  So I think the vibe I give off is very "unwelcoming".  So to see this on the lists of my friends, about me, seems a little strange to me.  I have been thinking about it over the last few days.

Maybe because these are all friends, THEY feel welcomed by me.  And they are, I would do almost anything for a friend.  I just don't see this as a unique ability and I certainly can't come up with (this is the next task) any habit that I do ALL the time that would lead people to think I am welcoming.  Maybe I need to sit with this some more, think some more about it, look at how I am in my daily life.  Maybe the process will help open this up for me.

1 comment:

Liz said...

One of my favorite quotes of all time is about this. Welcoming is a great gift.

Live welcoming to all.” ~Mechtild of Magdeburg