Thursday, December 11, 2014

Oberammergau and our Vacation to Germany

Jackson keeps asking me when I will have the photos from our vacation on my blog, which is funny since he has never read my blog.  I will say that he held the camera for 99% of our vacation, and that won't be happening again in the near future.  I don't think I am going to be able to document our vacation day by day, some days we visited 3 or 4 places and I have so many picture to go through and whittle down.  So I am going to wing it and hopefully show you a slice of our vacation.

I will say that we flew into Munich, nonstop from Charlotte, on Lufthansa.  We have flown Lufthansa a couple of times over the years and it ranks so far above any other airline we have ever flown.  Their service is amazing, and you don't have to pay for extras like a glass of juice.  I highly recommend them.  We stayed in Munich at a very nice Holiday Inn, the rooms were plenty big for the 4 of us, we had a little mini fridge, they had a parking garage, so no fighting for parking on the street, it was nice.  We did our day trips from here.  With Jackson's job, we knew we would not be able to spend the time needed to see the whole of Germany in one vacation, so we just set out sights on Bavaria.  Munich was perfect for day tripping around Bavaria. We rented a car and drove where we wanted, when we wanted, it was wonderful! We will just have to go back at least once more to show the boys more of this beautiful country.

Our first stop was Oberammergau, about and hour drive from Munich by car .  Jackson and I have been here several times, we love this little town.  It is nestled in a little nook in the mountains, so the scenery all around is beautiful.  Luckily for us, this was the one day, and actually just a few hours on this one day, that the fog cleared and the sun shone bright.  So we enjoyed every minute of it.  I will say that for our whole vacation it never rained.  It was damp, foggy and overcast, but didn't rain, so we were happy with that.

Oberammergau is probably best known for two things.  One being the wood carvings, of which I have no photos, and two the passion play, not being performed this year.  But the story of the passion play is really a gift of dedication.  So if you want to read about the passion play, and why the residents of this village have been doing this every 10 years since 1634, please visit this wiki page.

Here are a few picture of the lovely village:

Phillip took the picture above and below as we drove through the mountains.  It was nice to see the clouds clear and the beauty emerge.











No comments: