Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Winter Altar

I was uploading things to my etsy store today and my Winter Altar kits were one of those items.  So I thought I would share with you, what I have written about the Winter Altar.  Maybe spark interest, or give you some ideas for an altar of your own, if you don't already have one.  I love it, love my altar and change it with the seasons, maybe something here will ring true for you as well.  



I start with the altar cloth, so rustic, calming and full of the energy and colors of the season, blues and white.  This is a great size for your bed side stand or a small space on your fireplace mantle, as well as an ideal size for a dining table center piece.  There is enough room for the items included with the altar cloth, as part of the kit, plus room for you to add your personal touches and make this a truly unique altar. 

The candles are votive size candles.  I have included a white candle, and a deep red candle, which represent the colors of winter. On my altar I have my candles on a small charger, one that is just big enough for two candles (which can be purchased at a craft or department store).  But you can also purchase clear glass votive holders at your local craft store here in the USA for around $1 each.  The clear glass holders are just beautiful and really allow the vibrant colors of the candles to shine.  Remember to never leave a candle burning unattended. 

I have chosen small artificial holly and fir branches, that represent the evergreen plants of the season, reminding us that spring is just around the corner.  As well as two hand knit white snowflakes.  These are so beautiful and add so much to a Winter altar.




I have this years Holiday card on my altar, it reminds me of family so far away.  I also have a sea shell, that reminds me of my home, where I am from, where my heart is, the ocean.  I also include a rose quartz crystal, to purify my space, and a pewter letter opener, which you can’t see in the photo, that a dear friend gave to me.  Finally I have my winter travel altar, I just love the colors and inside are one tea candle, a book of matches, a couple of cone incense and a clear quartz crystal, for when I travel. 

You can add cards from family and friends, jewelry that makes you smile, your portable music player with your favorite music so you can listen to music when you are at your altar, a prayer or poem that reflects your mood or the season, one you have written or found, one you enjoy. 

Think about including items that bring back wonderful memories, or bring you to a special place in your life.  You want this altar to be for you, and
represent you and the things you love. 

Special altar items for this season could include cinnamon sticks, real fir branches, or pine cones.   They make great additions to any altar and bring a piece of nature into your home.  Remember this is the time of hibernation, when we think about the year that has past as well as all we desire in the
coming year. 

Another idea is to include a small box for your thoughts or prayers.   You can purchase a small cardboard box from a craft store or you can reuse a box you already have at home.  Just cut it to size and paint it or decoupage the inside and outside to suit you.  Have small pieces of paper nearby and write down your thoughts or prayers or wishes for the upcoming year and leave them in the box. 

I enjoy changing my altar with the seasons, it is a great reminder of the changes we go through yearly and throughout our lives.  Some items on my altar stay year round, and some I change with the seasons.  My altar holds a place for my meditation practice, it reminds me of what is truly important in my life, and creates a flow of positive energy in my home. 

Enjoy your Winter!


No comments: