Friday, October 3, 2014

Friday Reflections



Not sure I have a whole lot to share.  It has been a busy week, full of wonderful things like spending time with my boys, laughing so hard tea came out my nose, sharing time with friends again laughing and sharing. It has just been a joy filled week!  Our solar panels are almost all installed, that will be a project a LONG time in the making but coming to completion soon.

While at a friends house this week we carved pumpkins, this is my son, Phillip's, creation.  I thought he did a fabulous job:
It is funny, he made this on Wednesday, and by Thursday night the chickens had come by and picked out the eyes.  So now the pumpkin is eyeless and the chickens are happy!


I have had Karla Bonoff on my mind this week.  I used to listen to her when I was in college, and love her music.  Here's one for ya:




Still slogging through the book She, although probably not for much longer.

I think I will make a squash lentil dish for dinner tonight.  The farmers market is just brimming with squash this time of year, gotta love it.  I love the farmers market.  I had a discussion with a vendor this past week, one that has not been at the market the past two weeks.  She was saying that the market is slowing down (it is open through the end of October) and since her profits are dropping off she isn't selling there now. I do understand that there is a cost/benefit ratio there.  What I want all vendors to know is there are some of us that will buy from the farmers market until it closes.  And I buy what you have and make it work, I know the season is winding down.  You know I DO notice the farmers and other vendors who are there from the time it opens in spring until it closes down in fall.  I notice who is there consistently, bring what they have (even if it is just a few things), and sticks it out.  I will buy from YOU before I buy from the farmer who is there for only the peak selling weeks of the summer.  I want you to come to the market, I want you to support your family, I love farm fresh, local foods, in season.  I appreciate your dedication and it does not go unnoticed.

I have been knitting like crazy this week.  We are taking time in early December to revisit Germany, so I want to have Christmas presents finished.  Made a pair of socks this week and a linen stitch scarf.

Also been weeding, the weather is still warm, but not as hot as summer, so I have been out weeding my herb garden, getting it ready for what treasurers I bring back with me from the Southeast Women's Herbal Conference coming up in another week or so.  I can't wait, that is always a highlight in my year, I learn so much and love to dive right in and rekindle that passion.

Also been doing a little painting.  My boys are working on assembling and painting some new Warhammer 40,000 figures so I enjoy sitting beside them at the dining room table and working on something of my own.  Here is my work in progress.  Phillip says he likes how it is turning out, which is amazing, since our tastes are so very different.

I don't like the lighting for this, you can't see the depth of the background.  But what you can see are the bars of soap drying in the background.  It was a productive week.  I made a cinnamon/sweet orange soap.  It smells so good.  I love how my whole house smells when I make soap.  Also made a batch of body butter earlier this week.

I guess I did have a lot so share this week, a joy filled, productive week.  Feeling great this Friday and can't wait to see what the weekend has in store, possibly picking apples or hiking, we shall see.  I hope your week was full of joy as well!  Here is one more Karla Bonoff song to enjoy:




6 comments:

Deborah Weber said...

Sounds like a delightful week - love hard laughing and fabulous pumpkins! How fun you'll be traveling to Germany, and how impressive you're working on your gifts. Wishing you a wonderful week.

Liz said...

What a lovely week! It's wonderful to take this time to reflect on how many good things happened to us.

Cynthia Lee said...

I am laughing because as I was reading your post, I said to myself, "I thought she said she didn't have much to share this week!" LOLOL!

I don't knit and only do basic crochet but I am thinking that I will be picking it up again soon. I want something that I can do while sitting and watching movies/shows with my kids.

that pumpkin carving is amazing ... and I love you painting. and the soap sounds divine

Pam Genant said...

Thanks everyone for visiting my blog! It does mean a lot to me, those words of encouragement to keep on blogging! ~Love Pam

Sarah Broadfoot said...

Oooooo, I'm just loving how much new music is being added to my playlist courtesy of The Scattered Life Collective. Thank you for the introduction to Karla Bonoff. Such a lovely voice.

Pam Genant said...

Yes Sarah, me too! And I am so glad you enjoyed Karla Bonoff.