Monday, July 14, 2014

Making the Switch

OK I thought of several titles for this post but thought something less "in your face" would be most appropriate.  I have made the switch to an all natural deodorant.  I know, I know....some of my friends will be saying "eeeewwww" and others will be saying "it's about time".

I have tried and tried over the years to change, and tried many different organic brands from the store, but had not found ONE that worked.  And yes, before you even comment, I gave them all plenty of time, gave my body time to adjust.  I bought one stick at the Mother Earth News Fair in Asheville this year and finally tried it out.  Small one person company making their own beauty products.  Bought just one, and have since found the recipe online so will be making my own from now on.  That one stick sat in my bathroom for MONTHS, and I just decided to go for it about two weeks ago.  So far so good.

Here is the product I bought, yes the container is black so it didn't show up well.



But looking at the ingredients list on the stick I bought (the ingredients with the stick on the web site are different), it looks like this recipe I found at the Wellness Mama site, please go take a look if you are at all interested in a new recipe.

Here are the ingredients, I will let you all know how it turns out when I make my own, if you want the instructions please visit the Wellness Mama.  
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup shea butter, cocoa butter or mango butter (or a mix of all three equal to 1 part)
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tsp  beeswax
  • Optional: Vitamin E oil to preserve. I added 1 tsp vitamin E oil for  this recipe)
  • 3 tablespoons baking soda (Omit this if you have sensitive skin and just use extra arrowroot)
  • 1/2 cup organic arrowroot powder
  • 2-3 capsules of high quality probiotics that don’t need to be refrigerated 
  • Optional: Essential Oil of choice – I used about 20 drops of lavender essential oil
OK so why did I switch?  Because of the aluminum in deodorants/antiperspirants, as well as well as the unnatural scent used.  But you can find lots of information about this on the internet, but here is one article specifically about the aluminum, Beware of Aluminum in Deodorant Products.



No comments: