Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Taking Care of Your Emotional Self

Sometimes it is so easy to get caught up in the "should dos", those things that are expected of us, chores, activities, events, planning, cleaning, working, we forget about those things that set our heart on fire, bring joy into our lives, put a smile on our lips.  I had to take some time journaling to really get down to the nitty gritty of what it is that bring me true joy, those things I love doing.  It seems like sometimes those things are easy to put on the back burner for the "spare time".  

If you want to try a great exercise, get out some paper or your journal and write down all the things you like to do. I  know for me that list was LONG.  That are so many things that are fun.  Then take that list and whittle it down to just a few items, three or four.  Those top items that really make you want to dance around and sing for joy.  Things you WISH you had time for every day. For some, you may already have a daily practice. Now explore deeper:

~What would it feel like to do one or all of these every day or even once a week
~Why don't you, what is stopping you
~What would it take to put those few joys on the front burner
~List some ideas to make that happen
~Now list 20 more ideas to make it happen (this will help you push the envelope)
~What would a daily practice look like, involve, for you
~Are you willing to do just that 

I had a long list of things that make me happy, make me smile.  I wanted something I could do daily, to start my day off on a bright light, focusing on my joy.  So I narrowed it down to art/art journaling, as well as blogging and knitting/crocheting.  And those are on my daily todo list.  

In the morning I work in my art journal, quite often this stems from my meditation but not always.  And there are lots of art journaling web sites and facebook pages where I get inspiration.  I also love youtube for ideas. I participate in the Spectrum course, which incorporates art journaling and digging deeper into yourself.  That has been a great inspiration for me, and has really expanded my art journaling experience.  I also make soul collage cards, this is like having your own person tarot card deck, so inspirational.  I don't do all of these every day, but I do SOMETHING every day.  

Knitting is something I take with me everywhere.  I generally have at least a couple of projects going at the same time, one larger that may stay at home, and one smaller, like knitting socks, that I can pack into a zipper bag and take with me.  I generally get quite a bit of knitting done during the day just a few minutes here and there.  Knitting, I have found to be quite meditative, and just a little breath of fresh air when I am out and about.

Blogging for me is about changing my story, and becoming more exposed.  I have always been a private person, and I am trying to release that fear of exposure, and put things out there.  So I have started blogging more, and even when I don't post daily, I am working on it daily.  That release is so freeing.  

So find what it is that brings you joy, yes, and do THAT.  Do it daily or weekly.  Take care of your emotional self, make it part of your routine, nurture and nourish your joy.  




No comments: