Saturday, May 10, 2014

Where I Knit

Knitting is something I like to take with me wherever I go.  You just never know when you will have just a few minutes to knit, get a couple of rows done. It helps me to relax in just a few minutes.  Today I am knitting on the Greenway in Morganton, at the River View Coffeeshop.  It is raining outside, so I am sitting inside, but isn't it still beautiful out there.  This is the view out the window.  When it is quiet it is a great place to stop and think.  On weekends it is busier and nice to see the families getting out and spending time together, going for a walk or bike ride.  I enjoy watching the changing seasons, seeing the river rush by, hearing the birds outside.  



Today I happen to be working on a Christmas present.  This will eventually be a scarf, yarn was bought from a small local yarn store here in Morganton, O Suzannah's Yarn on Union.  I support local businesses where ever I can so probably 90% of my yarn comes from here.  This is a linen stitch and has become my favorite stitch as well (for right now anyway).  Really simple but when it is done it really looks like a woven piece of fabric.  Here is the simple pattern for this scarf.  





You need, 3 skeins of yarn, different colors.  Variegated yarn works nice. I have used all three in different colorways.  I have used one in a variegated and the other two solid colors.  etc.  You also need a 24 inch circular needle in any size really, maybe a size 2 or 3 for thinner yarn, or a 5-8 for a little thicker yarn.  

~With color 1, leaving about a 6 inch tail of yarn, cast on an even number of stitches (400-450). If you use a larger needle you will have a larger piece of work, it will knit up faster, there will be larger stitches.  If you use a smaller size needle the work will be tighter, take a little longer to knit.  You will see what you like better as you go.  You can try a small swatch just to see what you like the look of.

~When I am working with a thinner yarn, like a fingering weight I cast on 450 stitches, when I am using a sport weight yarn I cast on 400 stitches. I place a stitch marker every 50 stitches just because it makes counting the stitches easier, but you do not have to use stitch markers at all.  Leave about a 6 inch tail of yarn after casting on and cut the yarn.  

~Row 1(right side facing you)- using color 1,  you will leave about a 6 inch tail before you start with your first stitch.  Then you will knit one stitch, then bring your yarn to the front of your work and slip the next stitch as if to purl.  Then bring your yarn to the back and knit the next stitch, bring your yarn to the front and slip the next stitch as if to purl.  Continue on for the whole row (K1, yarn to the front SL 1 as if to P, yarn to the back, K1, yarn to the front SL 1 as if to P)  the last stitch of the row will be a slip stitch.  This is where the markers come in handy, the stitch right before each marker will be a slip stitch.  This lets me know early on if I have messed up. ;-)  Leave about a 6 inch tail at the end of the row and cut the yarn.

~Row 2 (wrong side facing you)- using color 1, starting from the end you just finished.  Leave about a 6 inch piece of yarn, purl the first stitch, bring the yarn to the back of your work, slip the next stitch as if to knit, bring the yarn to the front purl the next stitch, bring the yarn to the back, slip the next stitch as if to knit.  Continue on until the end of the row (P1, yarn to the back SL 1 as if to K, yarn to the front P1, yarn to the back, SL 1 as if to K).  You will end the row with a slip stitch, leave about a 6 inch tail and cut yarn.

For rows 3 + 4 you repeat rows 1 + 2 in your color 2.
For rows 5 + 6 you repeat rows 1 + 2 in your color 3.
Rows 7 - 12,  repeat rows 1-6

Continue on with rows 1-6 until it is as wide as you like.  Every few rows take three of the tail ends of yarn, pull them together, a little tight, and knot them.  This will be the fringe of the scarf.  I think this one I am working on now will be beautiful when it is finished.  I will have to post a picture of the completed work, right now I am barely started, so you can just barely see the pattern emerging.  I think it is so amazing watching it take shape.   



No comments: