Saturday, January 26, 2013

Popcorn Afghan Pattern



I made this small Afghan at Christmas for a friend's mother. She is in a care facility and I know it can get chilly this time of year.  It's not really a popcorn stitch but it kind of looked like popcorn. It is a really easy pattern for the base of it, and I will probably be using it again.  I used the LARGEST circular needle I have and I think I could have used an even larger one and been fine. So pick out the largest circular needle you have.  I doubled my yard, so it took 2 of the one pound skeins of Red Heart yarn.  I cast on 75 stitches, using both skeins and double yarn, but I think next time I will make it larger and use probably 125 stitches.  Then you knit one, purl one all the way across for the first row.  Then you knit one, purl one for row 2.  EVERY ROW IS THE SAME. Can't beat that.  So however many stitches you decide to cast on just make it an odd number and you are all set.  Here is a closer look:



The pattern is very striking up close.  For the edging I changed color, and decided to crochet some.  So I did a reverse crochet around the edge to give it a little texture, that is the stitch that almost looks like rope.  I crocheted three reverse crochet stitches in each corner.  Then I did just a row of single crochet, again three stitches in each corner so the corners turn right and don't curl up.  Then to finish it off I did a shell stitch, 5 double crochets in one stitch, then skip 2 stitches, then 5 double crochets in one stitch, skip 2 stitches etc.  For the corners I just kind of played with each corner to make it lay flat, skipping only one stitch on each side of the corner shell or added a few extra double crochets to the corner shell, or you can see in the first picture I put two shells close together, until it was flat and looked like a nice corner.

Easy, and fun, and fast, and pretty!

No comments: