Sunday, April 1, 2012

Linen Stitch Scarf

I have finished my scarf, and I love it.  A friend helped me pick out colors, that is just not my strength, I know that sounds odd, but  I acknowledge my limitations and "matching" colors is just not one of them.  I knew I wanted to stretch outside my comfort zone, so a friend helped me pick out a multicolored yarn, a green color and also an orange colored yarn.  And she was right, it all blended into a beautiful scarf.  Now it is unseasonably warm here in North Carolina, so I will tuck this gem away for next winter.

Here is the pattern:

Cast on 450 stitches (pick the size needles that work for the yarn you are using) on a circular needle

Leave a 6 inch "tail" at the end of casting on stitches

Row 1:  Leave a 6 inch tail at the beginning of the row.  Knit the first stitch, move the yarn to the front, then slip the second stitch as if to purl, move the yarn back to the back.  Repeat these two stitches (knit one, slip as if to purl) across the row.  Leave a 6 inch tail at the end of the row.

Row 2 :  Leave a 6 in ch tail at the beginning of the row.  Purl the first stitch, move the yarn to the back, slip the second stitch as if to knit, move the yarn back to the front.  Repeat these two stitches (purl one, slip as if to knit) across the row.  Leave a 6 inch tail at the end of the row.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until your scarf is as wide as you like it.

Cast off and leave a 6 inch tail after casting off.  Now you have all these tails at the ends/beginnings of each row.  You are going to start at one end and take three tails in a row, pull each one snug, then knot them together. Move onto the next three tails.  And do this on both ends.  Now trim the tails so they are all the same length and look good.  So this pattern is self fringing.

You can use any number of colors of yarn, you can use one color of yarn.  I used three colors.

1 comment:

redheads said...

I saw someone in Asheville wearing this scarf last week (not these colors, but the pattern) and can tell you it looks GREAT on - maybe you will get a chance to wear it this week with the cooler weather? ;-)