Friday, April 6, 2012

Bedside Organizer



OK anyone that knows me, knows that I try to be so organized.  It is just my nature.  And I have lots of pinterest pages flagged that are different ways to organize your life, menu planning, chore planning, organizing your pantry etc.

Today I decided to start with some sort of pocket for the bedroom TV remote and my nook.  You can see I have a dresser right beside my bed.  I wanted something that would cover the top of the dresser and have pockets in the side.   My goal is to NOT buy anything, to use fabrics I already have.  So this fabric was in my stash, I have a lot of it, not sure why...must have been on sale at some point.  I didn't want to use any of my nice quilt batting, so I decided to use a piece of an old blanket I was going to throw out.







2 pieces of fabric 18 inches X 64 inches
-1 piece of that old blanket 18 inches X 64 inches.
-1 piece of fabric 18 inches X16 inches

Lay the two larger pieces of fabric out, right sides together, and lay the blanket on top.  Pin.

I used a 5/8 inch seam allowance and sewed around the base leaving about an 8 inch hole so I could turn it right side out.  Once it was turned I pressed the piece, and also aligned the edges of the hole, turning the raw edges inward, press and pin the hole closed.  I then top stitched around the piece using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  This will stitch the hole shut for you.

Now you want to take the smaller piece of fabric, fold it in half, right sides together, so it measure 18 inches X 8 inches.  Sew around one short side and the long side, using a 5/8 inch seam allowance.  Turn and press,  folding the edges of the open side inward 5/8 inch and pinning closed.  Now again top stitch around all sides of this small piece, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, this will again sew your open end, closed.

Place your smaller rectangle on top of your base piece, you will see it will fit edge to edge.  Pin it in place and sew where your top stitching is around both sides and the bottom, leaving the top open (remember it is a pocket...and yes I have made that mistake before  LOL).  I just aligned the pocket piece on top of the base piece using my eye, but you could measure to be sure it is exactly level with the bottom of your base.  Also before you sew make sure to try it on your dresser to be sure the pocket is as high or low as you want it.

Now all you have to do is figure out if you want small pockets, one big pocket etc and you can sew it how you need it.  You could also add another pocket to the other side of the runner if you like, but in my case on the other side is the dogs kennel, so for right now this is all I need.

No comments: