Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Evil and the Super Nanny

OK I have not seen the *new* Super Nanny show, so I may be getting the totally wrong vibe here but yesterday I saw a commercial for this new show, and I saw the same commercial today, so I really feel like I need to get this out there, and maybe then I will be able to move past it.

The commercial depicts a family, not sure if they only have one son, but the one son on the commercial was shown as a child out of control, of course he was being filmed, and I know that they edit this show.  But the words on the screen as he was tearing things apart was "Evil....Has...A....New....Name".  One word appeared on the screen in large letters, at a time.  And I do want to say that they never said that Evil's new name was this child.  But that was CERTAINLY the implication.  I could not believe this....not at all.  I can't even imagine equating evil with a child.  That is such a powerful message.  I can't imagine how I would react if someone equated me with evil and we are talking about a child.

I have seen the *other* supper nanny show, the one that has been around for a few years.  And while I don't parent the way she instructs the families on her show to parent, something she generally started every *meeting* with is "you have such wonderful children", or "you have two beautiful girls" or some kind of compliment like that.

I know the commercial can be totally different from the program, which is why I said up front that I have not seen this show (and don't plan to).  I just wonder how this child will feel when he sees the commercial.  How he was portrayed for ratings.  How can you approach anyone, any situation, with a feeling that the other person (or in this case the child) is evil.  How can that bring any peace, any love, any comfort, any communication, any resolution, any common ground to any situation.

I try to approach situations of disagreement feeling that the person is doing the best they can in the moment, the intentions are the best, and solutions can be found.  Acceptance and understanding lead further than name calling any day.

No comments: