Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Coupon Show

OK I was just 1/2 awake in bed last night, couldn't quite get to sleep, so I turned the TV on.  It was 10:00, my normal bedtime since the dogs have been waking me at around 6 am these days.  There was a show on about couponing, yes coupons, those paper things that come in the newspaper on Sunday. Actually the show, I think, was called "Extreme Couponing". 

They were profiling these people who use coupons, like REALLY use coupons.  They will go to the grocery store, come out with carts of stuff and pay like $5.  I was truly amazed.  One woman saved over $1500 in one trip, paid only like $6 total.  One man bought like $15000 worth of stuff, some was purchased to give to the local food bank, but he paid like $50 for it all.  Really amazing.  LOL.  Now much of the stuff is stuff I would not buy, like soda.  I was just so in awe of these people.  Granted they spend hours go over their shopping list and figuring it all out but they have saved their families thousands of dollars.  I think at least a couple of the couponers (is that even a word) mentioned that they started for financial reasons, loss of a job in the family or high debt, and just wanted to make a difference, get out of that hole, figure out a way to eat.  So they started using more and more coupons and now get most of their grocery items for free, knowing when things go on sale at the store and always using coupons in conjunction with store sales.  Very cool!

Here is the official blurb from the TLC site "Extreme Couponing profiles four shopaholics who use coupons to save thousands of dollars and amass huge stockpiles of goods.These shoppers go to the extremes, dumpster diving for coupons and spending hours a day searching the internet for great deals."



I have never been one to clip coupons.  I have been blessed in not "needing" to, and also it is a time thing.  When I decide to go grocery shopping, I make a list and go.  But this show really demonstrated that I could be doing better, just taking a few minutes a week.  I could at least look at the store sales, and the coupons that come weekly in the mail.  Even saving a few dollars a week would add up.  :-)

2 comments:

Life as a Convert (Khourt) said...

I joined one of those coupon sites where they basically tell you what stores are having the sale and what coupons to use in order to get the best deal.. It was awesome! I saved a TON of money doing it, but it did take a lot of time.

Wenwe said...

I don't have a lot of luck couponing. I like to cook things and generally buy organic and/or unprocessed. These are not the things that use coupons except occasionally. Best of luck if you jump in to it!