Sunday, January 9, 2011

Abundance

Abundance 1.  an extremely plentiful or over sufficient quantity or supply: an abundance of grain.

2. overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart.

That is according to Dictionary.com. 

What is it that creates that feeling of abundance?  I have thought about that a lot lately.  The other day my son completed his goal of saving $1,000.  It has taken almost a year.  He decided on this goal because he wanted to see what it felt like to earn $1,000 and then just spend it on himself, on anything he wanted.  Well after shopping and shopping....looking and looking....3 days later, he still has about $500 left.  He declared "mom, there is nothing I really want."

That was a statement I heard at Christmas as well.  Now that the boys are older I make sure to ask them what they want for Christmas and birthdays.  It is just too difficult to guess.  And they had a few things to add to a list, but then they both said "mom, I don't really want anything." 

It isn't that we really have "everything"  LOL.  And I am sure they would like a flat screen TV in their bedrooms or some video game system, or a high tech phone etc.  I really think they live with a feeling of abundance.  A feeling of having more than you want.  Jackson and I have always worked with the boys, throughout the years, showing them that if you want something we can all work together to make sure you get it somehow.  They have heard that over and over, they know it to be true by demonstration.  There is a knowledge that we are all a team, we all have things we want, and we can get them if we work at it.  It doesn't have to be a special occasion, a birthday or Christmas, it isn't a reward for some kind of "positive behavior". It just *is*. 

I know families that are as financially stable as ours (and more so), and still live with that feeling of lack, instead of abundance.  So I don't believe the feeling comes with money. 

I grew up with the feeling of abundance.  And it was the same in that circumstance as well.  My parents worked with us kids to get what we wanted, and we just lived in such an atmosphere of abundance that we felt we lacked for nothing.  It wasn't until I was older and was helping my mother with taxes that I realized we lived below the poverty level.  But the house was filled with a feeling of abundance. 

I think it is a feeling, not based in what you have or how much money you have, how much property you own etc.  I think it is how you live, what you focus on, what you don't focus on.  A house filled with love, connection, togetherness, inspiration, friendship, and joy...leads to a home filled with a feeling of abundance. 

2 comments:

Life as a Convert (Khourt) said...

So true! I think its all in the perspective. We chose to see what we "have" instead of what we "have not".

I find myself wanting things, but certainly not feeling like I need those things.

Elena Margo Gould said...

Growing up my Dad constantly told me we were poor. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I realized we were solidly middle class and that I was quite spoiled, materially. I always felt a desperate feeling of lacking, socially and emotionally.

I greatly admire your approach to abundance! It sounds like a healthy foundation for a happy, fulfilling life. I look forward to learning more from your example!