Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I *Am* an Organized Unschooler

I know the two terms seem to be mutually exclusive, but I am here to say it *is* possible to be an organized, list maker, planner of a person and also follow your passions and interests facilitating your children's interests as well. The two can go hand in hand.


I am an organizer, a planner, a list maker. That is me. I make lists of things that I want to accomplish throughout the day, week and month. I actively search out homeschool activities and community events, field trip ideas for our family, my boys and our homeschool group. I feel secure having lists although as I am maturing I appreciate the ability to sway from my plan and continue to have fun in the spontaneous joy-filled moments.

Our family has been built on strong relationships, each individual feels safe in the family and knows that his ideas and thoughts are important. I say this because I think it is key to being an organizer and living an unschooling life. I talk with my boys about what they are interested in, find intriguing, might want to try, what is available. I do the research to find things that are interesting to me and might be interesting to them. They in turn, feel secure and know that these are options, and being options they can say "yes I would like to try that" or "no, I don't think I want to go see that".


So I organize things that work for our family. I organize an art day that both of my boys enjoy, I organize an explore science day that my youngest helps plan. I organize a hiking day that we all LOVE. And I am working with my oldest to plan a game day for the future. I also organize a statewide homeschool conference.


These things fill that need in me to be organized. While at the same time allow my children space to be their own unique individuals. I don't try to "organize" my children. But organizing their options seems to help us all see what is available from which to choose. Do we participate in everything, absolutely not, do we enjoy knowing there are wonderful things out there available, should the mood strike, yes.


So if you feel that need to organize, plan a garden, search for field trip ideas, make your own lists for yourself, get into the cupboards and organize the dishes, get involved with your local homeschool group, they are always looking for people who enjoy organization. Fulfill that need for yourself and you will find yourself happier and better able to be present for your children. You will be centered and better able to help them in ways in which they want, rather than in ways you feel are best for them. Are you an Organized Unschooler?!

1 comment:

Khourt said...

Im glad you posted this.. Many people seem to think of unschooling as all or nothing.. Well I unschool but I "homeschool" as well. I have areas that are quite organized and very un-unschooly but then I have areas where people might think we take unschooling to an extreme. Im glad there are others out there that are organized yet also unschooling.