Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hiking and Health

We went hiking on Tuesday, it is a monthly hike that I organize for our local homeschool group. The weather was "iffy", it had rained in the morning and driving up the mountain it was overcast. As we arrived it was chilly and cloudy, but within 10 minutes the sun was shining. Was uncertain if it was better to have sun and heat of clouds with the cool air BUT the possibility of rain. hmmm. It turned out to be overcast, so a nice cool day, with no rain, so the best of both worlds. The hike my youngest chose was down to Bass Lake, so as we arrived at the Moses Cone Memorial Park, I started looking around for a map of some sort, of all the trails at the park.
We went into the house on the property and it was a beautiful old house with a wonderful view of the lake and valley below, and was filled with craftsman wares, from pottery, to wood carvings, stained glass, to weaving, just awesome with some jewelry thrown in to tease me.

The maps were not as descriptive as we had hoped and with no signs posted on any of the trails up at the house, we switchbacked our way down to the lake. The trail was a wide carriage trail, that was very well manicured and gently sloped 1 1/2 miles down. The scenery was beautiful, and as we approached we could see the lake peeking through the trees. We sat for a while and the kids waded in the lake enjoying the nice breeze and the company of friends. Then it was back up the hill for us, another 1 1/2 miles, but it really felt great.

This was when I really realized that my ankle is healed and can take all of this, my health is better, and the three miles really did feel good. I was not winded or stressed. I just loved this walk/hike and want to go back and try some of the other trails. Just a nice, well kept place, thoroughly enjoyed our day. And my son took one of the best pictures of me I have seen in a long time. So nice spending time with my boys and friends doing something we all love.

1 comment:

Deanne said...

That is a nice picture of you. You look wonderful! It's nice to hear that you're feeling wonderful too. ;)