Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another Gentle Reminder

On our return from vacation this past Friday it was amazing to see how things had changed around our home. So many things are in bloom. It seems like we went from barely green to lush and blooming overnight. Well, it was almost a week (not overnight), but very quickly, inside and out. Jackson is having a little trouble with allergies, but otherwise it is such a lovely time.

Inside the house, my Christmas cactus is blooming. So beautiful...I have had this plant for a few years now, and this is the first time it is blooming, thanks in part to some nice worm tea shared from a friend :-) This plant is so special. My mom had a very large beautiful Christmas cactus in her kitchen, she gave a slip of it to my grandmother, and my grandmother started her own Christmas cactus. My mother than crossed over. So my grandmother still had that plant, started from my mother's. When my grandmother crossed over, my aunt took some of that plant for herself and also shipped some to me.

I didn't know if that little piece would survive. It was sent via the US postal service from Maine to North Carolina. It was in a wet towel but was still was a little beaten and wilted. I planted that little slip and loved it, hoping it would take. It just feels like a little piece of my mom. And it is beautiful. I am so grateful to have it blooming now. When I look at that plant I think of my mom and smile. That Christmas cactus in her kitchen gave her so much joy, I know this will do the same for our family. I guess when one memory moves on, it makes room for more.
And this is my straight out of the camera photo for this week. Originally I had thought it would be one from our vacation but that will have to wait until next Sunday.

3 comments:

Jan said...

It's always great the have something like this. I have a plant that my cousin saved from my Granddad's garden. He shared it with many of us cousins.

Wammy said...

My grandmother always had Christmas cactus. I don't have a green thumb so we have never had good luck with them. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the vacation shots.

Judy said...

I have a Christmas cactus that blooms at Easter time. Only I only get one or two blooms on it.