Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Meditation

I have been meditating every day for a couple of weeks now. About 20-30 minutes a day. It is going so well. Not sure what it is. I did start something new. I have 6 bracelets, nothing special, just seed beads strung on elastic. Did this several years ago with the boys. These particular ones are in shades of blue. Had them in my jewelry box all this time. I was looking and cleaning out my bedroom the other week and saw these, decided I needed to put them on. And I have been wearing them ever since. They serve to remind me of my boys, and remind me to take care of myself. Just over all, to remind me to exercise, drink my water, meditate etc, do the things I need to do to take care of me. And it seems to be working. I have been up on the elliptical or doing some aerobics every day, have been drinking plenty of water and just taking that time each morning to meditate. I set my sacred space, and take the time I need. And I have found that I do all of this before the boys are even out of bed. Just me time.

I have always thought it was important to take care of myself so I can be there for myself, my boys and Jackson. That has always meant the monthly Mom's Night Out, knitting, sewing etc. But lately, I have felt the need to turn inward. So in addition to the Full Moon Circle and New Moon Circle that we do as a family, I have started a daily meditation routine. Something that for me has been sporadic. I want to build on that and create the spiritual practice that my heart needs. And meditation, for me, really keeps me grounded in the present moment, just breathing. A time to stop all the thinking, organizing and planning...and just be. This picture to the left is my space, not much, but to me so full of joy and energy. A candle my dh gave to me (he is always giving me candles, one of the things I love), he is so thoughtful, my incense burner from my children, with my favorite Nag Champa, and my crystal ball, which in the picture looks so bright pink, but in reality is clear quartz. I love the picture, love the space.

It doesn't take much. It is so easy to think that taking time for ourselves has to be so complicated. But we can find the time and space even if, like me, it is just a tray with a few things I love. If it speaks to your soul, set it up, make the time, even if it is 10 minutes to really be at peace in the present moment.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I've never seen an incense burner like that. I really like it. Does it have a special name so I could google and find one somewhere?

Pam Genant said...

I really don't know what it is called, maybe google incense box or something. My boys gave it to me. :-)