Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Afghan pattern #1

OK I have had a couple of requests for the instructions for the afghan so I am going to post that before I finish up the sock instructions. Here is a picture of the afghan, as well as a close up of the pattern.


dc = double crochet
sc = single crochet
ch = chain

The pattern is worked in sets of 4 stitches so to increase or decrease the size just add or subtract multiples of 4. For mine I started by ch 171. (add or subtract multiples of 4 as you like)
Ch171

row 1 - sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across for a total of 170 sc. ch 2 (counts as dc here and throughout) turn.
row 2 - skip 2 sc and *dc in next 3 sc. Next you will dc in the sc you skipped immediately before the 3 dc (do this very loosely so that the st will lay across the 3 dc), skip 1 sc repeat from * across, the last sc in the row you will not skip, dc in that last sc. ch 1 (counts as sc here and throughout) turn.
row 3- skip first dc, sc in each dc across row.
row 4 and all even rows - repeat row 2
row 5 and all odd rows - repeat row 3

I used an "I" hook but you can use the hook you like, a larger hook will make a more lacy look. I also alternated colors every 4 sets of rows, but you can use all one color, a variegated yarn would look nice with this pattern.

1 comment:

Deanne said...

Really pretty afghan! Thanks for sharing the pattern.