Friday, October 16, 2009

Happiness

I want to post about my oldest son Dallen. Just a wonderful, creative being, that I love so very much. He is built, physically, like his dad. Pictures of Jackson as a child look like Dallen now. Dallen is almost 6 feet tall, and THIN. I don't mean thin...I mean THIN, always has been. We have always had trouble finding clothing for him. When he was younger he like the wind breaker type of pants, which made it easy since those had a tie at the waste, and could be cinched to fit.

Then a couple of years ago, his style changed and he wanted jeans. OK the search began. We were able to find pants at Old Navy that had a sort of adjustable waist, so they could also be tightened to fit his waist. Of course the body of the pants was big, but at least they stayed up. Fast forward to now.....he has gotten taller but not wider. Now he is out of the kid's pants and into men's pants. No more adjustable waist, at least that we can find anywhere. He would take about a 26 waist X 34 length....if any company made that size. We have searched and searched, hours, days of looking through every store around, every mall. Hours of searching online. I even found a web site where you can (for a couple hundred $) build your own jeans, but of course they still did not go small enough in the waist.

The path we were on was to have a friend sew pants for him. That was a challenge alone, as to find boy's pant patterns was harder than I thought. We were in the process of having these custom made pants fitted, as the first go around just didn't fit right, when the getaway happened. So we took a break from that and headed out of town for FUN!! And we did have fun, but that isn't the best thing.

On the way home from the getaway we pass by an outlet mall. I asked Jackson, who was driving at the time, to just stop in and let's get out and look. Mostly the same stores we have already look in, but a couple of new ones. So we passed through the usual, Gap, American Eagle, etc. NOTHING. To get a 34 length, the smallest waist is 30. Dallen even tried that one on....OK so it was so big I think we could have fit two of him in them. Dallen was getting frustrated, he just wanted to take the jeans, even though they didn't fit. I kept telling him what I have been telling him all along, we will work it out. Let's keep looking. During this whole process Dallen showed me how he has been wearing his current jeans. I thought he still had two pair that fit him, but it turns out they didn't fit him. He had been wearing the waist down around his lower hips so that the leg was long enough, the leg was really about 4 or more inches too short. I felt so bad for him, and was frustrated myself at not being able to find pants. I mean come on, they are just pants. Dallen can't be the only tall, skinny 15 year old that has this trouble.

One last store, we walked into the Pac Sun store. OK still NOTHING smaller in the waist than 32, which is actually WAYYYYY to big for Dallen, but he wanted to try them on. So we got the "Skinniest" jeans, which are supposed to be "tight", in a 32X34 and he tried them on. The leg fit so nicely, not tight, not bulky either, they looked like they fit him. Of course the waist is inches too big. I sat in the fitting room trying to figure out how I could take them in. But there was just too much fabric to be able to take them in and have them still look like pants. So we bought a belt, which Dallen LOVED, it had skulls on it. And Dallen put the pants on with the belt, worked the fabric around a bit, put his T shirt back on, and they looked fabulous. He bought two pair, and we have the web site so we can buy more.


I never knew that clothing could effect how you feel about yourself, so much. Dallen just beamed, he smiles every time he puts those jeans on, he loves to show his friends. It was amazing. And maybe it was just that having jeans that didn't fit made him more self conscious. Along with the frustration of thinking he would never find pants that fit. I just love how he feels in his new jeans. I love how much more confidently he walks, how he smiles. It took us MONTHS, but we found them. Whew I don't even want to think about him getting taller, it seems to happen over night, we will work with that when it comes. I am just enjoying him NOW, enjoying the joy in his face.

1 comment:

Wenwe said...

Whether clothes fit truly does make a difference. I live it! I know it. Yea for Dallen!