Monday, July 20, 2009

Love to Learn Conference

In just a few short weeks I have the Love to Learn Conference. It is truly a labor of love started by myself and another friend, Teri. We were just so frustrated with the religious slant added to the sessions offered at other homeschool conferences. Yes, I know I live in the south, but that doesn't mean that everyone wants religion injected into every aspect of their lives like they can't figure out their own spirituality, and how to integrate that into their families.

It feels so good to be working on our THIRD annual conference, yes this is year NUMBER THREE!!! Whooo hooo!!!!

I love watching the speakers come together, this is part of what I offer the conference, I find, and schedule speakers. And this year we have such a mix of speakers and topics. More than this year will handle, so a few are going on next year's schedule already. We purposefully do not have vendor speakers for free. If a vendor wants a session to promote their product they pay for it, and it is clearly marked in bold letter "Vendor Session" so everyone knows before they enter the room, that someone has something to sell. This makes our conference different!!

This years speakers have been such a joy to work with. And it is funny but we are moving more and more away from strict lecture type formats with "experts" telling people what to do and why. We are moving toward speakers that have a passion for something and want to share this, share what they have been doing in their family, things that have worked or not worked for them. The speakers this year want to interact with their audience, allowing people to ask questions, discuss answers, ask why, where, when and how. I love those types of sessions, and the audience seems to enjoy it as well.

Also we purposefully do not seek out churches for a venue, we want everyone to feel comfortable attending. All sessions are on HOMESCHOOLING!! Not religion.

This makes it difficult to find a venue at a reasonable price but we work hard to make it happen.

I just wanted to share my excitement, and invite everyone to support the only INCLUSIVE (yes I used that word) conference in North Carolina!!

1 comment:

Zenmomma said...

Woohoo! I just know it's going to be an awesome conference. Enjoy!