Monday, June 22, 2009

Knitting Socks #1

I want to get the steps for Knitting Socks into a series of blog posts, so when I show others how to knit socks, I have a reference. It is hard to show people how to knit socks unless you see each other frequently or spend a few days together.

I am not going to get into the details of knitting and purling, so you really need to know how to knit before this pattern will make sense, but I am trying to explain in some detail because the first time I looked at a sock pattern I was a little stumped. :-)
Here is the first step, and I am taking pictures as I am making socks for a friend. :-)

I am using 4-size 000 - 7 inch double pointed needles. Fingering weight yarn, which is the thickness of most sock yarns. My gauge is 7 stitches per inch, and 9 rows per inch. I knit loose. Most people will use a size 1-3 needle for knitting socks. Thicker yarn-larger needles and less stitches. Thinner yarn-more stitches and smaller needles. You can adapt this sock pattern by increasing or decreasing (whichever you find you need) but do it in increments of 4 stitches.

1. Cast on 56 stitches
2. Divide stitches evenly (as possible) onto three of your needles, 20-20-16

3. Join to form a circle. Needle one is the needle with the tail of yarn hanging down. Needle three is the one with the last stitch cast on, that has the yarn you knit. Using your 4th needle you will K2, P2 around the circle starting with needle one. This will join the ends together to form a circle.

You may have a little gap between needle one and three, I usually try to make the first stitch a little tighter to decrease this gap some, but if you have a little gap, as you can see I do in the picture, it will disappear in a couple of rows. So don't worry too much about it. This first row is the hardest. Try to keep your needles from twisting, the needle you are working with should be closest to you.

4. Continue to K2, P2 each row until you have 1-2 inches of work. This is the ribbing so it really is up to you how much ribbing you want at the top of your sock.

5. End the ribbing after you finish needle 3.

6. When you have the length of ribbing you want continue to knit using a K stitch, this will be the body of your sock.

No comments: