Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Unschooling...School...Unschooling...

I have been thinking a lot lately about a T shirt I own. Bought it at the last Live and Learn Conference and it says "Unschooling...Living as if School Didn't Exist". And I really like the T shirt, like the sentiment. And on the surface it makes sense to me and just makes me smile. MY BOYS LIVE AS IF SCHOOL DIDN'T EXIST!

But year after year it seems like school is creeping in on us. We have a middle school down the road, and a brand new high school was just build last summer the opposite end of the road from the middle school. An elementary school is on a road that branches off our road. So no matter where we go there is a school. BUT I wouldn't change it for the world. Because even though I love the sentiment that we live as if school didn't exist. The reality is that we live AND schools do exist, and the idea of school exists.

It is so empowering to know that unschooling is a CHOICE we make each and every day. So we live as if school and the idea of school does exist and we make the conscious choice to turn away from that, to live free; think, act and live consensually within our family and community, fully understanding that the majority live within the school system. We CHOOSE freedom, from all that school represents.

No comments: