Monday, February 16, 2009

Zen

I was reading through the spring 2009 issue of Tricycle magazine last night. It is one of my favorite magazines so if you don't already subscribe you should look at it. The magazine also has a great web site, so much on there.

Anyway there were a few things that struck me so I thought I would share them here.
*First they are having another meditation challenge this year. Last year it was the 28 day commit to sit. This year it is extended to 90 days. Whew. I know the point is to create a habit but I couldn't find the time every day for 28 days, and it did not work into a daily habit.

* Second there is an article, The Three Things We Fear Most. And one paragraph in particular hit a chord with me.:
"We all dread the helplessness of losing control, and yet real freedom lies in recognizing the futility of demanding that life be within our control. Instead, we must learn the willingness to feel-to say yes to- the experience of helplessness itself. This is one of the hidden gifts of serious illness or loss. It pushes us right to our edge, where we may have the good fortune to realize that our only real option is to surrender to our experience and let it just be."

What a profound thought. Not new but I love reading it in different ways. What I have found is that when I just let go of the control and just be in the moment, lots of opportunities present themselves that I would never have seen had I been stuck focused on controlling something over which I had no control.

"Real Zen is the practice of coming back to the actual right-now-in-this-moment self, coming back to the naturalness, the intimacy and simplicity of our true nature. Zen practice is not about getting away from our life as it is; it is about getting into our life as it is, with all of it's vividness, beauty, hardship, joy and sorrow. Zen is a path of awakening..."

How real is that. It is so simple. It seems like with all the Buddhist reading I do, it can seem so complicated. But this issue of Tricycle circles around the theme of simplicity. Having my mobility restricted has really forced me to live simply, and really focus on the here and now, really getting to know who I am.

*Just one more thing I enjoyed was actually an advertisement. Samadhi Cushions. It wasn't the cushions that caught my eye, but the logo at the top of the ad, which I don't see on their web site. It said "Don't just do something, Sit there." I LOVE IT. Had to read it twice because the first time, I read it as I have heard it "Don't just sit there, do something". But then I thought, ..that isn't what it said, let's try that again..."Don't just do something, Sit there."

I do see a need at times for me to do that, JUST SIT THERE, enjoy and be in the moment.

Again if you do not subscribe, go and check out their web site. Personally I love the magazine, and the web site. And maybe over the next few months I will try harder to find time to "SIT". Instead of trying to create a huge tradition out of it, I will focus on finding 5-15 minutes to just SIT, to be in the moment, to simplify. No grand ritual, just simply sit, and be.

1 comment:

Deanne said...

That is a great logo! I'll be checking out the website too. Thanks for sharing. :)