Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Eve

Jackson had Christmas Eve off, well he had to make rounds in the morning but the afternoon was free, so we decided to go hiking. It was a hike I had planned for our hiking club a few weeks ago, but it had been raining so we canceled. Christmas Eve was raining as well, but it was relatively warm, and not pouring just drizzling a bit. So off we headed to the Tom's Creek Falls hike. A nice short, 1 mile round trip, hike listed as "easy". And it was easy, a well manicured, beautiful hike. Easy traveling up to the waterfall, which was beautiful. We were all enjoying this hike. And it was the first time Jackson had been able to join us, just the four of us. Usually the boys and I go with out homeschooling friends, mid-week and middle of the day when others are usually busy, and trails are less crowded.

As I mentioned it was raining Christmas Eve so we were the only ones on the trail, nice and quiet, peaceful. At the falls we stopped at the bottom and took a few pictures, then we could see that the trail went up the water fall a bit. Part of the trail had been washed out so the incline was wet and muddy. Easy enough, we ventured up a bit and took some more pictures. The trail veered off and we decided to turn around and head back to the car, it was afternoon, getting darker and raining harder. As we were heading down that muddy incline, Jackson and Dallen had gone on ahead just a little bit. I looked at Phil and said "how are us short people supposed to get down from here?" Well Phil just ran down the incline, spry little thing he is, and as I was heading down, my right foot started to slide down and my left foot did not follow. So my left foot was bent back at the ankle (reminiscent of Harry Potter 2, when Lockhart bent Harry's hand back). As I landed and pulled my left leg forward my foot flopped back forward and to the side. I knew instantly that it was broken, and broken so that it would need surgery.

I remained very calm, talking and explaining things to Phil and Dallen as Jackson splinted my ankle. It hurt and was so unstable that I couldn't even stand on my good leg to sort of hop out of the forest. So Jackson and Dallen worked to make an A frame that I sat on and Jackson hauled my butt out of the woods. We were fortunate that the path was well manicured. Jackson was able to drive the car in about 1/2 way so he dragged that frame, with me on top, about 1/4 mile.

There were so many things that could have happened, and I have processed a lot these past few days sitting on the couch. But I am not a "wallow" kind of person. It has all been about moving forward. Being grateful that things were not worse. And realizing that the universe needed to just hit me on the head to get me to slow down a bit. I trust that everything will be OK. The surgery was a major job, and I have one more day surgery ahead of me, along with about 12weeks of recovery time. Jackson has been doing Reiki on my leg morning and night. And a friend came over to do some energy work last night. The boys have pitched in so much to help out, and Jackson is rearranging his work a bit to accommodate my needs. Moving is slow, crutches have been a challenge. But things are moving forward. I was able to be home for Christmas, and the boys really liked that, although a bit groggy. I hope to post Christmas pictures tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm sending healing energy your way. Glad you were able to enjoy the Holiday together. Hopefully tomorrow will be a less groggy time.

I guess you'll have some time to knit - and from the etsy pics, looks like you have quite a selection already!

We send our thoughts and best your way.

Deanne said...

I am glad to hear that you're on the mend and that you have such wonderful men to taking such good care of you. Wishing you a smooth and speedy recovery, and a Happy New Year!