Monday, February 25, 2008

I have had at least a four requests for my bagel recipe.

Here is my recipe, actually I took an existing recipe and tweaked it to suit us.
1 2/3 cup hot water

mix into the water:
3 tsp yeast
3 tbsp (about) honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp (about) olive oil

let that sit just a minute then add (I use my kitchen aid stand mixer with the dough hook on it) 1- 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 3 cups unbleached white flour.

Beat that (again I use the stand mixer) for 10 minutes then let it rise until doubled. Beat it down and let it stand for 15 minutes. Divide dough into 12 balls and stick your thumbs into the center of each ball and form into a bagel shape.

Heat a pan of water (1-2 inches of water) with 1 tbsp sugar and 2 tsp salt added, until it is boiling. Set the bagels into the boiling water and cook on one side for 3 minutes, then flip for 2 minutes and flip again for one more minute. Take them out of the water and blot them on a towel to get the excess water off. Place them on a greased cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until brown on top.

No comments: