Monday, September 24, 2007

Commit to Sit


Well I started the "Commit to Sit" 28 day challenge today. Been reading about it for the past week getting ready. I meditate on and off, but nothing that is regular. I would like to, but it seems like other things take that priority spot in my life. So today I made the commitment to meditate twice a day, morning and evening, every day for 28 days.

It was tough this morning. I had so much to do to get ready for an FLT Gathering coming up starting Thursday and running through the weekend. But I did it, maybe a little closer to noon than morning, but hey, for me noon is still morning. And I did it. Seems harder to meditate when I am making it a priority. Harder to relax, harder to focus. This first week is focusing on the breath, easy subject, I can do that. Done it before, will have no problem with it. But my mind was exceptionally busy today. I kept drifting off to the things I had left to do on my "to do list". The great thing about Buddhist meditation is no guilt, just bring your thought back to your breath and move on. Gotta love it.

A little excerpt from the web site: "Our twenty-eight-day Commit to Sit challenge puts that daydream of an intense daily practice to the test. How different will you feel when you meditate every day for a month? " The answer is "I don't know" but will let you know how it is going, and maybe have an answer to the question at the end of the 28 days.

The Tricycle Magazine has a great page dedicated to this, it is for anyone wanting to experience meditation on an ongoing basis, to see how it changes their life. So join me if you would like.

1 comment:

Ren said...

You're brave to start this right before FLT! What better time I suppose....life doesn't slow down to offer us the choice, we just have to do it.

I'm inspired. I think I'll start after FLT.;)