Monday, August 6, 2007

North Carolina Homeschooling


Oh I am getting so excited. A couple of friends and I had been thinking and talking for some time about the need in North Carolina for a REAL inclusive homeschooling conference that focuses on homeschooling as the core. Totally secular in nature, no agenda other than providing real, accurate, unbiased information. And it is really happening. We have been working on this for a year now and to see the product of all this work come to life is so exciting. We are having some really cool speakers and these last few days and upcoming days have been and will be hectic, but the conference WILL happen and it WILL be this coming Saturday. We are all thrilled to be bringing this to North Carolina. I know we are in the Bible belt, and it will be an uphill battle, but just listening on yahoo lists and in groups of people, there are homeschoolers out there who are NOT homeschooling for religious reasons, and people who are indeed homeschooling for religious reasons but are looking for a conference not based on religion, any religion. So while the struggle has been real, I think it can happen, I think it will happen, and this will be a tremendous change for North Carolina. It has been a long time comin' but IT IS HERE.


I have never homeschooled in any other state, so I don't know what the homeschooling atmosphere is anywhere else. I have been ridiculed for my unschooling methods and I am tired of the judgements, placed, not just on me but others like me, and others not like me but with some other characteristic "outside the majority". We deserve a voice. We will have a voice. OK I need to get down off my soapbox and back to work.

No comments: