Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Inspiration

I subscribe to a couple of "daily" inspirational items that come to me via e mail each morning. Some of them I really enjoy. This one was from a couple of days ago:

I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness. That is clear. Whether one believes in religion or not, whether one believes in this religion or that religion, we all are seeking something better in life. So, I think, the very motion of our life is towards happiness.
-- Dalai Lama

There is a criterion by which you can judge whether the thoughts you are thinking and the things you are doing are right for you. The criterion is: Have they brought you inner peace? If they have not, there is something wrong with them, so keep seeking! If what you do has brought you inner peace, stay with what you believe is right.
--Peace Pilgrim


I really enjoyed reading this. It kind of made me take a quick mental stock of what I was doing and where I was going. Sometimes it is easy to keep saying yes to things, people asking for help, working on homeschool support group stuff etc. I keep telling myself that I do it because I enjoy it and feel that it is important work to be doing. But is it that or do I just have a hard time saying 'no'. I can say no, have said no before. So reading this I held what I do up the light, so to speak. and yes what I do brings me joy and peace. I have an immense amount of joy in my life, so something must be right. So for now I will keep doing what I am doing but will try to evaluate frequently to see if these things in my life continue to bring me joy and peace.

No comments: